Current Openings include Middle School Science and substitute teachers for all levels..
|Job Title: Middle School Science Teacher & Advisor||Department: Teaching|
|Reports To: Head of Upper School||Status: Full Time|
|Revision Date: August 27, 2015||Salary: $34,000-$38,000 DOE|
About Trillium Middle School
Trillium is a K-12 Public Charter School in North Portland, Oregon. At Trillium, students are actively involved learners in building a personal knowledge of the world around them through action, experience, and reflection. Trillium’s education philosophy centers on contextual teaching/learning and constructivism. We utilize a relationship-based model focused on problem solving, project-oriented, and collaborative learning. Students engage as active participants in their learning and develop their own meaning and knowledge in the process. Equity, social justice and community are at the foundation of our education model and are woven into all curricula.
Trillium Public Charter Middle School utilizes an education model that includes proficiency-based assessment, restorative justice discipline and teacher-student advisory as student support. Please visit http://trilliumcharterschool.org/k-12-programs/middle-school-program/ to learn more about our middle school.
Middle school teachers at Trillium serve the dual role of teaching an academic core subject to all middle school-aged students, as well as serving as an academic advisor for approximately 23 middle school students. The middle school science teacher is responsible for all science classes in the middle school.
All teachers in our school serve on one of five committees. Teachers are supported through frequent meetings with the middle school team, upper school team, committees, all staff meetings and critical friends professional learning communities. We offer training and support in restorative justice, democratic education, classroom management, proficiency, professional learning communities and others as needs arise.
All full time employees at Trillium have access to medical and dental insurance as well as reduced rates for childcare. All employees are enrolled in the Public Employee Retirement System.
Bilingual and applicants of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Essential Job Functions
- Design and implement curriculum for all middle school science classes including physical, earth and life science. All classes are mixed age (6-8). Classes are taught to all ages on a yearly rotating basis.
- Assess students utilizing proficiency-based grading methods.
- Prepare students for formal assessments to meet Essential Skills requirements including preparation for Smarter Balance state assessments, and compiling and assessing work samples.
- Serve as an academic advisor for approximately 23 students, including tracking education progress in all classes, offering social/emotional support, and serving as community touchstone for student and family.
- Help to support one of two cohorts of students in: middle school orientation/ proficiency-assessment, or leadership.
- Participate in collaborative leadership structure through middle school team, upper school and all staff meetings.
- Serve on one of five committees in monthly meetings. Committees include leadership, teaching & learning, equity, student support and operations.
- Participate in critical friends style professional learning community.
- Manage student information through Synergy electronic database. Includes daily attendance and grade tracking.
- Facilitate student-led conferences.
- Offer a differentiated curriculum that creates learning and assessment opportunities for a wide range of ability levels.
- Approach problems with flexibility, creativity, collaboration and critical thinking.
- Knowledge of and experience with
- Constructivist philosophy
- Democratic Education philosophy including Essential School or similar models
- Proficiency-based education models
- Restorative Justice discipline practices
- Courageous Conversations about Race or similar equity work
- Oregon State Teaching License
- Masters Degree in Education or related field.
- A Bachelor’s Degree.
- Must meet Highly Qualified state standards for the position (OAR584-100-0002 through OAR584-100-0111).
- Clear communication skills, both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a grade level team.
- Ability to create a positive, nurturing environment for the student.
- Adheres to Ethical Educator & Professional Practices as set forth by Teacher Standards & Practices Commission (TSPC). http://www.tspc.state.or.us/pub.asp?id=6
- Provide instruction, organization and management in the classroom, which creates a respectful environment conducive to learning.
- Appropriate use of space, equipment, and material storage.
- Create and maintain a healthy, safe and respectful environment within the classroom and the school.
- Adhere to all school systems, protocols and policies that are developed.
- Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality when dealing with student information.
- Arrive at work on time, punctually attends and actively participates in all required meetings and trainings.
- For teachers with Oregon state certification: Maintain a valid Oregon teaching license registered in the manner provided by law during employment.
- For teachers without Oregon state certification: Maintain a valid Oregon Charter School Registration in the manner provided by law during employment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Substitute Teachers K-12
Trillium Charter School is looking for the following substitutes: Preschool, K-5, 6-8, 9-12, and Aftercare. These substitute positions are on-call as needed. Qualified substitutes will be called on to meet the needs of students’ through instruction and implementation. Preferred applicant must have an active license with the state of Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission. Familiarity with democratic education approaches and philosophy is also preferred. Our mission is to create an academically rigorous constructivist learning environment that engages each student’s unique spirit and intellect, develops creative, critical thinking skills, and cultivates compassionate, active citizens.
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for ensuring that classroom and curriculum meet Trillium philosophy.
• Coordinates developmentally appropriate lessons and activities.
• Provides instruction, organization and management in the classroom which creates a respectful environment conducive to learning.
• Supervises students both in and out of the classroom in a respectful and positive manner.
• Other duties as assigned by the school Director.
• Responsible for appropriate use of space, equipment, and material storage.
• Responsible for creating and maintaining a healthy and safe environment within the classroom and the school.
• Adheres to all school systems, protocols and policies that are developed.
• Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality when dealing with student information.
• Arrives at work on time.
• Required to be a respectful, cooperative, and reliable team member.
• Maintains professional competence through participation in school provided in-service activities and/or self-selected professional growth activities related to job responsibilities.
• For teachers with Oregon state certification: Maintains a valid Oregon teaching license registered in the manner provided by law during employment.
• For teachers without Oregon state certification: Maintains a valid Oregon Charter School Registration in the manner provided by law during employment.
• Preschool and Aftercare: at least 2 years experience working with Preschool and/or K-5 children; and or comparable academic experience.
• K-12: Bachelor Degree. Preferred Master Degree in Education.
• Clear communication skills, both orally and in written form.
• Strong organization skills to coordinate artists in residence.
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a grade level team.
• Ability to create a positive, nurturing environment for the student.
To apply: please send your cover letter, résumé, and 3 professional references via the email provided.